Thursday, May 28, 2009

The "S" Factor at work again

I went to a rehab center yesterday to visit a delightful elderly lady. She had just received news that her son had died after a long fight with cancer. This is the second child (both sons) that she has lost. She lost a young grandson last year. She doesn't understand. These events are so out of order. She is the oldest. She is supposed to have gone first. She is grieving again. And asking the un-answerable question: Why?

When leaving the facility, I took a wrong turn and came face-to-face with a young woman who had worked at the same company as I. She had been working part-time while finishing school. I had not seen her since she left her job to start teaching. I've thought of her often, and several times in the past couple of weeks. She still has one of the biggest, sweetest smiles I've ever seen. What a treat.

Today, I drove though a shower of grass clippings thrown from several utility mowers at work in the median. I don't care if it does make me sneeze... I love the smell of freshly-cut grass. Such a good, clean smell. For some reason, it makes me feel so young.

No comments:

Post a Comment