Thursday, September 16, 2010

A life well lived... a woman well loved

I attended the viewing yesterday evening of Cathy Bolton, a woman taken from her life much too soon by breast cancer. She was 47 years old and fought to live like the proverbial tiger... she wanted to be around long enough to see her grandchildren.

Cathy's love for her family, friends, patients and work associates was the guiding force of her life. They responded by being there for Cathy and her family, giving of their time with visits, food, whatever she needed that they could provide... their respect and love for her evident in their faithfulness to her throughout her illness.


At the viewing, I asked Cathy's mother how
she was doing... she said her heart was broken, but she was okay. The line of people who came to show their respect and caring grew and grew and grew... to the point that additional rooms had to be opened to accommodate them. I suspect the visitation lasted well past the planned 9pm closing.

I met Cathy's mother several months ago and we discovered that my daughter and grandchildren knew Cathy and her husband from attending the same church, my grandchildren having attended the same school with her children. When I went for a treatment this morning, one of my nurses and I discovered that
she and some of the other nurses there had known Cathy through work. They were devastated... another hint of the far-reaching effect and influence Cathy had during her life.

Cancer may have finally killed Cathy, but it didn't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment