Monday, August 10, 2009

Getting ready for the new year

Spent some time last week in the mountains with my daughter and her family. The kids enjoyed swimming lessons at the "Y" and a morning swimming at the American Legion lake. The weather was hot enough for them to enjoy the water but didn't overcome those of us watching from the 'beach.'

For most parents, the real New Year starts with the beginning of the school year. It has been several years since my kids finished with high school but I still get the same feeling of new beginning. My daughter had selected a donation list from the Legion to help a child be ready for the new school year. She had already purchased the backpack and we shopped for the items on the list to fill it. She still has to finish shopping for her own kids' back-to-school needs. I told her how I had done a "I don't have to go school-shopping anymore!" dance the first year after her youngest sibling had graduated. It is something she can look forward to as she searches the aisles looking for the items on the lists for her children. The teachers lists are so specific as to what supplies they require for their students. I am curious as to why only name-brand items are acceptable when less expensive items can be had. Do they get a kick-back from the companies?

Beginning to think of the things I need to do to get ready for the new year...

Wear all my white slacks and summer shoes before the end of Labor Day weekend so I can get them washed and cleaned up, ready to stow away for next year.

Start planning for Fall and Winter decorating and crafts for the holidays that will be here before we know it! Note: I do this every year... have yet to actually be ready for the holidays.

Check out Julia Child's' cookbooks to find her wonderful recipes for heart-warming soups, stews, roasts and side-dishes for the cold-weather season.

Speaking of weather, looks like real summer weather has finally come to our part of the world. We've had an unusually temperate season so far. I wonder if the hot weather will continue into the fall and winter? Time will tell. Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment