Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The way to go

I just finished reading a newly released biography of one of my favorite authors, Agatha Christie. Duchess of Death, is an unauthorized biography written by Richard Hack. The book is an informative, interesting read, and a worthy addition to one's reading list.

Agatha Christie was the second mystery author whose work I read, starting in my early teens; the first being Edgar Allen Poe. She had a talent for story telling that transported me into a world of English village life, wealth, mansions, cottages, servants, the King's English, and good triumphing over evil. In her books, good always triumphed over evil. Genius and talent alone are useless without hard work, and work she did, becoming one of the world's most published authors. She wrote not only books but also short stories, plays, poetry, and for films. She also wrote 6 books published under the name of Mary Westmacott.

Ms. Christi was born on September 15, 1890, and her life included its own mystery. On December 3, 1926, she disappeared. A massive manhunt was conducted and continued until she was found 11 days later, her disappearance never fully explained to this day. On January 12, 1976, while she was being pushed in her wheelchair from her dining room, she reached for her husband's hand. Without looking up she whispered, "I'm joining my Maker," and died.

I'd like to go that way. If, that is, I can't go out laughing. That's my first choice. To leave in the middle of a loud, delighted bray of laughter. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a news bit about a public service promo produced by the Brazilian environmental group SOS MATA. In an effort to conserve water, the populace is being asked to reduce the number of times they flush their toilets per day. A new spot exhorts them to "...pee in the shower... save the Atlantic rain forest... ." Go out laughing? If the world continues to produce news like this, the odds are in my favor.


No comments:

Post a Comment