Monday, July 6, 2009

A Fine Fabulous Fourth of July

The drive to the mountains this past Friday was wonderful; the weather so fine that I could travel without running the air-conditioner. The lawns, fields and gardens were green and thriving... the corn tall and full. It's been several years since I've seen growing corn looking that healthy.

On the Fourth, I got to hear my favorite patriotic music, including Sousa marches, and American the Beautiful, although it's the first time I'd heard God Bless the USA sung by a barbershop quartet. My son-in-law grilled chops, and as expected, they were great. Didn't get to a parade, but did attend a local baseball game in the evening. The teams started out slow but reached their stride in the 4th inning and gave us a show... even a fair number of foul balls for the crowd to catch... my grandson caught one. I really enjoyed the game for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the fact that the announcer didn't say anything until... (gasp!) ... he actually had something to announce. So nice not to endure endless recitation of team trivia that die-hard fans already know and people like me don't care about. Yeah! Then had a perfect seat for the fireworks after the game.

All in all, a wonderful Fourth of July... fantastic weather, great food, and good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment