Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Regardless of what the calendar says, Fall is here

Nope. Couldn't do it. Was going to wear my white slacks yesterday, but it just didn't feel right... even though the unofficial 'official' end of Summer is Labor Day. I know Fall isn't officially here yet, but for some reason, it feels like Fall to me. The sunlight looks different. The temperature here went down into the 60s night before last, and never reached 80 yesterday. It was a beautiful, perfect day. Suddenly, the pinks, yellows, and light blues in my wardrobe look too summery to wear. Feels like time to wash and pack up the hot weather clothes and unpack and freshen the cool weather togs. Feels like it's time to take the pink & white quilt off the bed and put the warm throw in its place. Now that September 1st has come and gone, we're on the slippery slope to the end of the year.

My mind has turned again to my home town... not the one I was born in, but the one in which I spent most of my 'growing-up' years. I've only visited it once since leaving and that was almost 30 years ago. I want to make a stealth visit: drive the streets, find sites I remember, see the inevitable changes that have taken place. I want to slip in and out without making my presence known to anyone. (As I haven't kept up with old acquaintances and don't know which of them still live there, this should be the easiest part of the trip.) I've often thought of re-visiting it over the years... this time I just might make it.

One of my granddaughters has a birthday today. She got a shiny new bike. I used to feel older when any of my children or grandchildren had a birthday. Then I realized, I'm not getting older... they're just catching up to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment